Saturday, May 06, 2006

Sigma 10th Anniversary Acoustic


This really is a nice playing and sounding acoustic. My wifes parents bought her this guitar while she was taking lessons when she was a young 15 year old.

Here are some cool comments that I've found about this guitar:
In 1980, Martin produced 100 Anniversary Sigmas (model 10), a solid mahogany dreadnought; equip one of these with a brass or ivory saddle, ebony bridge pins and medium strings and you can hunt down D-18's in the heaviest brush and stomp them to death --- it's a very loud and impressive guitar!

This Sigma is a 1980 model 10 Anniversary Edition Made in Japan.It has 20 frets with a solid spruce top which is heavily bearclawed.The back and sides are solid mahogany.The pick guard and body binding are tortoise shell and the finish is gloss nitrocelulose laquer over all.The fingerboard and bridge are rosewood.My understanding is that there were only 100 of these AnniversaryEdition D18 style Sigmas made to commemorate the end of the solidwood Japanes line. It has diamond and square fret markers and bridge decorations with pearl Martin style headstock logo and the word"Anniversary" inlayed at the last fret. Basically what we have here is a D18 with D28 HV fingerboard markers.

10 Comments:

At 5:09 PM, Blogger Ian Mclaren said...

I have one of these as well and its a great guitar. It plays and sounds better than any Martin D-18 I have ever played with the possible exception of beautiful golden era I tried a couple years ago. A definite keeper.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger synthaxe said...

thanks for checking out the site ian. it is a great guitar and i was more than amazed when i discovered the story behind the guitar. we will definately be keeping it.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger debs said...

hi synthaxe,

thanks for ur write up. i just bought one for 450$ i still cant believe it, i'm in shock! its my b'day present from me 2 me...:)
this is a keeper for me.

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Is your Sigma d10 for sale

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Is your Sigma d10 for sale

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger synthaxe said...

it's not brandon. this happens to be my wife's guitar and i couldn't sell it since it's what she learned on. thanks for asking though.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Tutch said...

U

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Tutch said...

There were certainly more than 100 made, I own a D10 anniversary model and I've seen many over the years, since owning mine from new. It was just a sales pitch to get people to buy the guitar.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have a sigma d10 100th anniversary with grade 10 stamped inside ive read it has no flaws like number 8-9 stamps anyone interested email bonz2321@gmail.com

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just bought one...actually traded down from an Advanced Jumbo. This Sigma is every bit as loud as the Gibson when flatpicking. Doesn't project quite as well when finger picking but sounds awesome. Almost as bright as the rosewood Gibson and easier to play with the shorter scale. At first I was remorsefull but now I am glad I traded down. Great guitar for the money!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home